Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Dinner Tonight

It was approaching 5 pm and I still didn't know what I was going to make for dinner.  I must have been channeling Tracy at Amuse-Bouche for Two when I texted John and asked if he had any ideas for dinner.

"Do you have any beef barley soup in the freezer?"  No.
"How about any tomato soup in the freezer?"  No.

I could see where this was headed as it is a miserable, cold, and rainy day.  Ok, I'll survey the fridge and see what I can come up with. Celery, carrots, and an onion. Canned (boxed, actually) tomatoes, a bag of lentils, and some low sodium chicken broth. Good.

I pour some olive oil into the soup pot, add a knob of butter and saute the chopped vegetables until soft. If you happen to have some pancetta--I didn't--now would be the time to add it. Add a pinch of salt then one cup of tomatoes, cut up. Season and simmer for a bit.


Add 1 1/2 cups lentils, stir, then add 4 cups broth or half broth and half water. Season to taste.  Cover and simmer approximately 45 minutes or until lentils are tender--adding more water if lentils absorb too much liquid.  Off heat finish with a tablespoon or so of butter and correct seasoning. Serve dusted with grated cheese. We used Pecorino. Add a green salad, a whole wheat roll, and a glass of wine. Done.




8 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm smiling...that's what it's all about! I loved this. It's a tasty puzzle, mystery, adventure. And then it hits your stomach and you have to smile too. It's looks SO good. Two great posts today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a mighty fine supper for someone who had no idea at 5 o'clock what they were going to cook. I love the idea of you channelling Tracy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy--Thanks, sometimes everything just clicks. Or else, I was just on auto pilot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kath--Alls well that ends well. But it helps to have a well-stocked pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love lentil ragu, it's so easy to make....tasty and healthy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. M.--It hit the spot for a rainy day. I'll be eating the leftovers tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lentil soup is often my 5-o'clock-and-no-idea-what's-for-dinner choice too, especially if the weather is so-so :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amelia--Who needs take-out when a dish this delicious comes together so quickly?

    ReplyDelete