Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Gougeres


I love making pate a choux or puff paste. Not only is making pate a choux a great skill to have in your cooking repertoire, it is fun to make. The process of transforming water, butter, flour and seasonings, which essentially is a very thick bechamel sauce, by adding eggs one at a time to make the paste swell is almost magical. Once the puffs hit the hot oven, they rise into tender orbs that become the base for appetizer or dessert. A pretty good pay off, I think, for the short amount of time invested.

Gougeres, from the Burgundy region of France, are created when grated cheese, be it Gruyere, Swiss or Parmesan, is added to the warm paste. They are the perfect bite with a pre-dinner drink, and  they freeze perfectly. For your spur of the moment guests, don't even defrost them. Just pop them into a hot oven for a few minutes until they are crisp and enjoy.

I use Julia's classic recipe from Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume . Perfect.



































































Try this link to see a gorgeous photographic tutorial on making gougeres.

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous gougeres! I like the new header too. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look perfect! I would love to attend one of your holiday get togethers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy oh boy don't those look great! little drops of heaven! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a funny thing, I just love saying "Gougères". I like the way it rolls off the tongue. They seem fun to make too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. KATH--Thank you. I thought I needed a more festive header for the season. The arugula just wasn't cutting it.

    STACY--Thank you. And I would love to have you!

    FAITH--Thank you very much.

    DENISE--I love words that are fun to say--and fun to eat!

    TRACY--Or three or four. They really go down quite easily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gougeres have always been a favorite--- it takes a little elbow grease to whip them up, but that airy cheese bite is soooooo worth it.

    ReplyDelete