Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Just Breathe

The worst thing was the Halloween candy.

 Two weeks after two back-to-back storms the East coast is still reeling and dealing with the aftermath. I am thankful that we did not experience any damage or injury, and compared to what others are still suffering, a little over a week without power was just a minor inconvenience.

Through it all I cooked. It never occurred to me not to cook dinner. One dark and cold night as I stood at the cook top sauteeing veal chops in Marsala wine, perhaps sensing an oncoming melt-down, John stood holding the flashlight. Seeing the absurdity of the situation I said, "What in the world am I doing?" "What you always do," he said. Cooking. As usual."

Chris kept in touch from the West coast with texts. It still amazes me that his generation actually thinks that texting is the same as talking. "How's it going? Btw what have you been eating?" "I have been cooking. In the dark. As usual." "OK cool."

So when all is said and done, as Denise reminded me, cooking and our kitchens do comfort us. So it was fitting to make this hearty sausage and bean dish for dinner the other night.

I cut one pound of hot sausages into pieces and sauteed them in a heavy Dutch oven. When they were brown, I added a crushed garlic clove, some fresh rosemary, a little salt and pepper and a large can of cannellini beans, drained.  Then came a splash or two of red wine letting it cook down for about 30 seconds. Next I added about one cup of canned tomatoes, crushing them as I put them in. I then cooked the sausage mixture with the lid askew for about 30 minutes. Perfect.

Oh, the Halloween candy? The worst thing was that I ate it all!


7 comments:

  1. The usual routine and proper cooking is indeed the best way forward. I am so glad you weren't affected by damage or injury and our thoughts are with those who did. For us, sausages are the best sort of comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kath. Cooking does sustain us in more ways than one.

      Delete
  2. You are correct about the cooking (and yummo dish, BTW!). It was my refuge when I worked crazy hours. I'd come home, pour a glass of wine, and start cooking - all the "jive" from the work day, however long, was not allowed in the kitchen. Cheers ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear that you are ok. I was thinking of you during the storm. Looks like even that couldn't stop you from cooking something delicious for your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for thinking of us, Stacy. I guess cooking is something I don't think about doing, I just do it.

      Delete
  4. Such a safe coping mechanism. It works. I hope the candy was tasty. It's only once a year...

    ReplyDelete