Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Dutch Baby for Shrove Tuesday

During this past winter I have been revisiting some of my older recipes, and one thing I have been yearning for is a German Pancake aka Dutch Baby. And what better day to make a pancake than Shrove Tuesday?

Shrove Tuesday is the day before Ash Wednesday, the end of Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday). It ushers in the season of Lent, the forty days of fast, abstinence, and penance leading to Easter Sunday. Traditionally on Shrove Tuesday pancakes were made to use up the fat, eggs, sugar and flour whose consumption was limited during Lent.

For chef Andrew Carmellini's Dutch Baby, the batter is mixed then set into the refrigerator overnight.
The next morning all you need to do is heat a hot skillet in a 400 degree oven, pour in the batter and wait for the eggy goodness to puff up on the sides.

 Pull it out of the oven and squirt with lemon and sprinkle with powdered sugar.   The flat bottom lends itself to being filled with cooked apples or fresh berries, or some jam for an alternative. You are good to go.

6 comments:

  1. I've only had these with apples. I'd like to try your lemon and powdered sugar version. I think I'd prefer it. The light in the 4th image is so pretty. Is it the oven light?

    ReplyDelete
  2. like Denise, I too make these with apples. yummy breakfast, once in a while

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your lighter, lemony version of the Dutch Baby appeals to me. It's fun to revisit these recipes from another time in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun, and winter seems appropriate for the comfort of a Dutch baby.

      Delete