Thursday, January 26, 2012

Dinner Tonight--Walnut Crusted Salmon Fillets




It was a dark and stormy night.  No, really.  It was dark.  It was raining.  And it was cold.  It was the kind of night you wanted to stay at home with a steaming bowl of soup and a crackling fire. But that was not meant to be.  I was meeting friends for an early movie before dinner, and because I knew that John and I would be returning home about the same time, I wanted to prepare something for dinner that would be ready for the oven when we got there.

Walnut crusted salmon fillets was the perfect dish.  A delicious healthy dinner full of heart-healthy  antioxidants and phytonutrients that would be able to be prepared ahead of time, parked in the refrigerator, and roasted in a matter of minutes.  A good choice for a dark and stormy night.

Salmon ready for the oven


Walnut Crusted Salmon Fillets
 Serves 4

4 6-ounce salmon fillets, whatever kind of salmon you prefer
1 cup lightly toasted chopped walnuts
4 tablespoons fresh bread crumbs
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
3 teaspoons low fat mayonnaise combined with 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Combine the walnuts, bread crumbs, melted butter, parsley and salt and pepper to taste. 


Place salmon fillets on an oiled, or silpat-lined baking sheet.  Season with salt and pepper if desired.
Spread one teaspoon (or less) of the mustard-mayonnaise on each fillet and top with the walnut mixture, pressing into fish.


Bake until just done 12-20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish and your preference of doneness.

Cook's Note:  A quick and delicious weeknight meal also works well for dinner parties.  The salmon can be prepared ahead of time and kept refrigerated until baking.  If you don't like walnuts, why not try pitachios or hazelnuts.








 


 


15 comments:

  1. Mmm, this looks super tasty and I've been in the mood for broccoli lately. Maybe tomorrow. I'm about to start a green lentil dish for dinner this evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love lentils and made a lentil escarole soup this week. A bed of lentils is a delicious platform for a piece of salmon.

      Delete
  2. I have made salmon, breaded with nuts, but it has never looked this delicious. I must see what you did differently and make it your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any way you make it, salmon and nuts can't be at all bad. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Love the nutty crust on my favourite fish! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great way of preparing salmon! Really scrumptious.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. those fillets look delicious---I have prepared them with an herbed mayo-dijon mixture. As you note, it really seals in the moisture of the salmon. But I've never used nuts, which would add a welcome crunchy-toasty element. Thanks, Michele!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of the herbs mixed in with mustard-mayo.I'll try that the next time.

      Delete
  6. I have made this with a layer of mayo and then heavy seasoning with fresh herbs. It was fabulous. With the nuts also, I can imagine, this is a favorite dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely sounds like the addition of herbs is the way to go next time. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  7. Yummy n healthy combo,looks so inviting n nice presentation too...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michele, I recently made bake halibut with a crumb crust but my recipe did not have mustard which I do think sounds better. I will try that next time. And the walnuts are a wonderful touch. Great flavor profiles.

    ReplyDelete