Thursday, September 30, 2010

Biscotti

As I have said before, biscotti are my favorite cookies to bake. These twice-baked cookies are easy to make and the perfect sweet, and sometimes savory, treat for any occasion.

I came across a forgotten bag of coconut hiding in my freezer. My friend, L, loves coconut, and I was at home all day. So it should come as no surprise that biscotti is what I chose to bring to dinner with friends last weekend.

























COCONUT BISCOTTI

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 heaping cup sweetened coconut

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Combine dry ingredients and set aside.

In a food processor, process sugar and butter until creamy.  Add vanilla extract and eggs, and process until combined. Then add dry ingredients and pulse until just incorporated. Stir in coconut.

Form dough into two logs on a lined baking sheet. Sprinkle logs with additional coconut and bake for about 30 minutes until logs begin to color.  Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes.

Cut each log into slices and place standing up on baking sheet. Return to oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. If they color too quickly, turn oven down to 300 degrees.

Cool completely and enjoy!

Note:
You may or may not want to decrease the sugar a bit, as the coconut adds additional sweetness.
Makes about 20 cookies, depending on how large you choose to cut the slices.

8 comments:

  1. Ooh I remember how delicious your last biscotti recipe looked, but me being me I still have them on my to bake list. Maybe these will prove inspiration and I will bake my first biscotti. I love the filled bag, what a lovely gift to receive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo of the biscotti in the oven! Looks like I need to put coconut biscotti on my to do list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kath: You bake so many delicious things, but I think you'd like making the biscotti. My friends did enjoy the gift.

    Tracy: Everything that you bake looks delious as well. I have to stick to small pieces and give half away--having no will power at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky L! I cannot believe I still have not made the time to make my own biscotti. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise: Yes, she thinks she is lucky, too. Ha! You know, they are easy to make, but you need a couple of hours at home to baby sit them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea--I have never made coconut biscotti and my Bill is crazy for coconut. These look so pretty, with the toasty shreds on top!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never attempted making biscotti, but this makes me want to take a stab at it. What a great gift these make!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy: Thanks. I was thinking maybe they were a little too toasty. But I got no complaints.

    Stacy: Do try them. Very easy and very versatile.

    ReplyDelete