Friday, April 15, 2011

Sausage And Grapes

I feel as if I have been swirling in the vortex of life for the past few months. Time flies while my activities expand to fill the time allotted.  My creativity, particularly my cooking, has become stagnant. Tired of the repetitive dishes of winter, I search the markets for inspiration and find none. My anthem these days seems to be Anna Nalick's "Breathe".

Of course I am impressed by Tracy's bagel experiment.  I am enchanted by Denise's butterfly olive cookies. My sweet tooth is piqued by Kath's Kaluha and coffee ice cream, and I am amused by Valerie's adventures in Italy; but a couple of failures in the kitchen and my current funk have rendered me immobile.

As Spring turns Winter into a memory, I am hopeful that my stagnation will retreat as well.

The dish I made for dinner last night, although said to have originated during the fall grape harvest in Umbria, was a nice change of pace.

















Sausages With Grapes--My Version
Serves 2

1 pound Hot or Sweet Italian Sausage--I like hot
3 cups seedless red grapes
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Place sausages in a 10- or 12 inch  skillet, add 3 tablespoons water, and turn heat to medium. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes, turning often.

Remove cover, and prick sausages.  Remove excess fat from pan leaving about 1 tablespoon.  Add 1 tablespoon butter to the pan along with the grapes.  Sprinkle grapes with a pinch of salt, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until grapes soften somewhat. Add balsamic vinegar and stir.

Serve hot and enjoy!

.

6 comments:

  1. So simple, yet I never would have paired grapes with sausage. Good thing the Italians did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of this before, but it sounds very interesting. And this from a woman without inspiration! I hope life finds a slower pace and inspiration returns soon. Surely it is nearly time for a trip to St Thomas? Thank you for the kind mention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried anything like this, but it looks so simple and so good. I will be trying it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacy--It really is a flavorful combination.

    Kath--Ah St. Thomas--not until the end of May. As for slowing down, I just found out this morning that there will be 10 more people for Easter dinner. Seriously!

    Denise--Do try it, it is simple and quite tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the grapes would add such a nice sweet pop to the meat's spice--great idea. I think that grapes are often overlooked in hot cooking preparations. good luck with your Easter dinner crowd! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michele,
    I've never had this dish but has something close to it and it was great but looking at yours make me wanna have some right now and I bet the taste is wonderful! I misssed your recipies :)

    ReplyDelete